Do you want to restore your smile and improve your confidence? If you have several missing teeth, overdentures may be the best dental treatment for your oral health needs. At Bismarck Advanced Dental and Implants, we specialize in a variety of restorative dental procedures including dental implants and overdentures. With a 98% success rate, dental implants are rapidly becoming one of the most sought-after dental treatments.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants involve the use of a titanium (or similar material) screw gently inserted into the jaw bone. The screw will eventually bond with the bone, and will look, feel and function just like a traditional tooth. When you have multiple missing teeth, dental implants can be used as the support structure for a dental bridge or dentures. Implant therapy is a long-term solution for missing teeth and it is a treatment we recommend for patients with missing or severely damaged teeth.
Replacing Multiple Teeth
Implants are designed for patients with multiple or all of their teeth missing. When you have missing teeth, we can perform implant surgery and use those implants to be the anchor for a denture to click into. What this does is continue allowing the bone structure to stay in-tact and allows you to have a complete smile without the cost of paying for multiple teeth. Overdentures are recommended if you want to regain your quality of life and get back to eating some foods that you’ve crossed off your list for years!
Types of Overdentures
What are the main types of overdentures? There are three main styles of overdentures including:
- Implant-retained, gum supported
- Bar-retained, implant supported
- Fixed, implant supported
Implant-Retained, Gum Supported
An implant-retained, gum supported overdenture uses your gums to support the main portion of the denture, with the use of two to four implants inserted in the lower or upper jaw. The denture is removable and uses the implants to keep it in place when you are eating and talking.
Bar-Retained, Implant Supported
The bar-retained, implant supported denture uses a metal bar to connect the dental implants. The overdenture is removable and it simply clicks onto the metal bar to hold it firmly in place.
Fixed, Implant Supported
A fixed, implant supported denture is designed to use an overdenture and bar together and then use the implant screws to click onto. The fixed denture is only removable by a dental professional. We recommend the fixed, implant supported denture if you want to have teeth that look, feel, and function as close to your natural teeth as possible.
Overdentures are one of the best treatments for patients with several missing teeth. We have found that our patients note an instant change in their demeanor and enjoy sharing their smiles with others. Here are just a few compelling reasons why overdentures will change your life:
- Eat your favorite foods: When you have missing teeth, it will limit your ability to eat and drink certain foods. Overdentures restore your smile, giving you back the foods you haven’t been able to eat for years. The other benefit is that having your teeth back allows you to chew your foods fully, allowing your body to absorb the nutrients fully.
- Improved self-esteem and confidence: Using overdentures will allow you to restore your smile to its former glory. A smile you can be proud of is easy to share with others. We almost always see a noticeable improvement in our patient’s confidence soon after treatment. Don’t be embarrassed anymore by your missing teeth as we do have a permanent solution to fix your missing teeth.
- Prevent bone loss: When you opt for dental implant supported dentures, you will not need to worry about bone loss. Dentures act just like a natural tooth, which allows the body to continue nourishing the area. If you have significant bone loss, there is the worry that it will start to alter your appearance as your cheeks can start to sink-in because there is no longer bone structure to support the muscle and skin tissue.
- Goodbye adhesive: Another benefit to overdentures is that they allow you to toss that adhesive out the window. You will be able to avoid needing to glue your teeth to your gums and can finally have stability when you talk and chew.
Overdentures pose a great solution when you have missing teeth. Contact Bismarck Advanced Dental and Implants today at 701-390-1920 to schedule a free consultation for your missing teeth concerns.